What is ACSED?
- The Association of California State Employees with Disabilities (ACSED) is a membership organization dedicated to addressing systemic issues faced by individuals with disabilities working in, or seeking to work in, state government. By embodying the best of volunteerism and self-determination, ACSED has been instrumental in defining a vision of equitable employment for persons with disabilities and moving the state toward that vision.
- Our mission is to “ensure systemic action on disability issues in state Government.” This covers the employment, promotion, retention, and fair treatment of people with disabilities. It includes promoting awareness of people with disabilities as a valued employee resource and moving state Government toward becoming a model employer of all employees.
- ACSED is recognized by the State as the bona fide employee organization representing the interests of employees with disabilities.
Policy and Advocacy
The ACSED Advocacy Committee meets throughout the year with State Departmental leadership and Legislators in addressing the systemic issues that limit equality in the hiring, retention and promotion of PWDs in state service. We collaborate with CA Department of Human Resources, the State Personnel Board, the Department of Rehabilitation and other departments. These activities go to mission of our organization.
ADDITIONAL ON-GOING ACTIVITIES:
- Participate in SDAC and departmental DAC meetings to inform them of the role we can play in addressing systemic barriers that limit the hiring, retention and promotion of individuals with disabilities.
- Mentor and consult with the State Disability Advisory Committee and individual department DACs and SDAC in addressing ongoing systemic issues.
- Brown Bag Lunch Program: This membership benefit program is designed to provide professional development workshops to state employees. Subjects range from resume development, to skill development, to understanding the “system”, etc. The workshops are usually a collaborative project with other state employee membership organizations such as Asian Pacific State Employee Association Foundation (APSEA).
- Participated in the CalHR/SPB Joint Project to develop a comprehensive set of recommendations for improving the hiring and retention of employees with disabilities in state government.